Press release World Baseball Softball Confederation
PULLY, Switzerland; — The World Baseball Softball Confederation announced today an agreement securing the exclusive international rights to live-stream the upcoming season of the Panama National Baseball League/Championship of Panama through WBSC’s ‘GameTime.Sport’ channel at https://youtube.com/gametimesport. With the agreement, the Panamanian league will draw an international audience for the first time in its history while boosting year-round baseball content/programming.
Panama’s National Baseball League (Campeonato Nacional de Béisbol Mayor Copa Banco Nacional) is organized by the Panama Baseball Federation (FEDEBEIS, Federación Panameña de Béisbol) and features eight participating teams that qualify through 12 Provincial leagues.
The participants are the Provinces of Coclé, Colón, Panama Metro, Herrera in Group A; and Bocas del Toro, Chiriquì, Los Santos, Panama Oeste in Group B.
The top two finishers of each group will play in the semifinals, and the winners will compete for the title in the final series.
The 2020 edition will be the 77th of Panama’s National Baseball Championship. Opening day was postponed to October from the original date in March amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
Seven former Major League Baseball (MLB) players highlight the eight rosters.
Enrique Burgos (Coclé) is a relief pitcher who can top 100 miles (160 kilometres) per hour. He played at the MLB level from 2015 to 2018 (Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers), then moved to the Mexican Baseball League.
- Manuel Corpas (Herrera) is another relief pitcher. He pitched for the Colorado Rockies from 2006 to 2013
- Allen Cordoba (Bocas del Toro) is a 24-year old infielder who played in 2017 for the San Diego Padres
- Angel Chavez (Bocas del Toro), now 39, played 10 games in the infield for the San Francisco Giants in 2005.
- Luis Durango (Herrera) is an outfielder who played from 2009 to 2012 for the San Diego Padres.
- Severino Gonzalez (Coclé) is a right-handed pitcher who started for the Philadelphia Phillies in 2015 and 2016.
- Davis Romero (Coclé) is a left-handed pitcher who appeared in seven games for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2006.
The season will open on Friday, 9 October, with two games (Colon-Panama Metro, Herrera-Coclé at 2 pm and 8 pm local time respectively) at Estadio José Antonio Remón Cantera in Aguadulce, Coclé Province, and two games (Panama Oeste-Chiriqui, Bocas del Toro-Los Santos at 2 pm and 7 pm local time respectively) at Estadio Flaco Bala Hernandez in Las Tablas, Los Santos Province.
The Cantera ballpark, originally built in the 1950s, recently underwent renovation. Construction began in 2018, and the new stadium was inaugurated on 22 July 2020.
Hernandez Stadium is also a modern baseball venue. It opened on 21 June 2019 and hosted its first game on 3 January 2020.