Press release World Baseball Softball Confederation
Pully, Switzerland. The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) today announced new dates for the inaugural WBSC U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup®. Originally scheduled for 2020, the top international youth softball event will now be played from 28 August to 5 September 2021 in Lima, Peru.
The first edition of the WBSC U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup had been set to take place this year from 23-30 August, before being postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In October, the WBSC rescheduled the event for 27 March to 4 April 2021.
The elite international youth women’s softball event will be hosted at the Villa Maria del Triunfo Complex, the softball site of the Lima 2019 Pan American Games.
The 16 teams qualified to battle For the Title of World Champion in this newly reformatted age-category remain as follows:
- Africa (1): World No. 26 South Africa
- Americas (5): No. 1 USA, No. 3 Canada, No. 4 Puerto Rico, No. 5 Mexico and No. 19 Peru (host)
- Asia (3): No. 2 Japan, No. 6 Chinese Taipei and No. 7 China
- Europe (3): No. 9 Netherlands, No. 10 Italy and No. 12 Czech Republic
- Oceania (2): No. 8 Australia and No. 16 New Zealand
- Wild Cards (2): No. 11 Philippines, No. 48 Colombia
Due to the one-year postponement of the tournament, all players who would have been eligible to participate in the 2020 edition of the WBSC global tournament will still be able to play in next year’s youth Softball World Cup.
The WBSC, together with the Peruvian Softball Federation and the Peruvian Sports Institute, will continue to monitor the global pandemic situation with the relevant authorities and participating National Teams/Federations.