The Netherlands are starting their final preparations for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. The selection and its coaching staff are going to travel to Scottsdale, Arizona on Saturday, February 9 to kick off training camp. They will practice at the Spring Training facilities of the San Francisco Giants.
During their time in Arizona they will play a total of six games and scrimmages against three colleges and Team China which also prepares for the WBC. On February 19 the team departs towards Taiwan to play the first round.
28 players will be in training camp in Arizona even though Major Leaguers have to report first to their respective organizations next week and won’t be joining the team before February 25 in Taiwan. Therefore the Royal Dutch Baseball and Softball Federation (KNBSB) nominated 11 more players for the training camp.
The KNBSB press release about the training camp start still lists Jurickson Profar and Jair Jurrjens as members of the team even both mentioned that they might opt out to focus on Spring Training camp with the Texas Rangers respective the Baltimore Orioles. Catcher Shawn Zarraga is no longer on the roster since he is injured. Recently released Dashenko Ricardo has replaced him.
Training Camp Roster in Scottsdale, Arizona:
- David Bergman, Yurendell de Caster, Rob Cordemans, Bayron Cornelisse, Berry van Driel, Jonatan Isenia, Spencer Kieboom, Diego Markwell, Loek van Mil, Randolph Oduber, Kalien Sams, Curt Smith, Tom Stuifbergen, Hainley Statia, Nick Urbanus, Orlando Yntema (all part of preliminary WBC roster)
- Dashenko Ricardo (replacement on roster for Shawn Zarraga)
- Danny Arribas, Jonathan Balentina, Leon Boyd, Michael Duursma, Wendell Floranus, Kevin Heijstek, Dwayne Kemp, Phildrick Llewellyn, Mark Pawelek, Danny Rombley, Sharlon Schoop (all added to training camp roster)
Wladimir Balentien (in Japan), Roger Bernadina, Xander Bogaerts, Kenley Jansen, Andruw Jones, Jair Jurrjens, Shairon Martis, Jurickson Profar, Jonathan Schoop, Andrelton Simmons and Juan Carlos Sulbaran (all on preliminary WBC roster) have to report first to their respective MLB organizations before joining the Dutch team on February 25 in Taiwan. Additionally exhibition games are planned for Taiwan, which will be announced later.
The KNBSB has to submit their final World Baseball Classic roster by February 20. The Netherlands will face Korea, China Taipei and Australia in the first round, which is scheduled to commence on March 2.
- Hensley Meulens (manager), Brian Farley (bench coach), Bert Blyleven (pitching coach), Steve Janssen (bullpen coach), Tjerk Smeets (hitting coach), Wim Martinus, Ben Thijssen (coaches), Peter Meijers (team manager)
- Saturday, February 9: Arrival in Scottsdale
- Sunday, February 10: Practice
- Monday, February 11: Practice
- Tuesday, February 12: Practice and Game vs. GateWay Community College
- Wednesday, February 13: Practice and Game vs. Chandler-Gilbert Community College
- Thursday, February 14: Practice and Game vs. Paradise Valley Community College
- Friday, February 15: Practice
- Saturday, February 16: Practice and Game vs. China
- Sunday, February 17: Practice
- Monday, February 18: Practice and Game vs. China
- Tuesday, February 19: Game vs. China and departure for Taiwan
- Thursday, February 21: Arrival in Taiwan
Photo: European Championship 2010