Words and images by Joe Gray
The British Baseball Federation is currently finalizing the format and schedule for the 2009 season. I will bring you details of this as soon as I have them.
Instead of reporting here on the present day, I will highlight a piece of research into the history of baseball in Britain that I have just published for Project Cobb (the Project for the Chronicling of British Baseball).
In this research project, I started by searching through the scores from each national final in Britain going back to 1890, picking out those finals where the deciding game was decided by 1 run or went to extra innings.
I narrowed down the results I had to concentrate on finding game details for all of the classic finals identified after World War II. The finals in this list are:
- 1969 – Liverpool Trojans versus Watford Sun-Rockets
- 1976 – Liverpool Trojans versus Kensington Spirit of ’76
- 1979 – Golders Green Sox versus Hull Aces
- 1984 – Croydon Bluejays versus Hull Mets
- 1989 – Humberside County Bears versus Southern Tigers
- 1993 – Enfield Spartans versus London Warriors
The full article explores each of these finals in turn, and it can be found here.
If anyone would like to share their thoughts on classic national finals from other European countries, please contact Project Cobb through the email address at the top of its webpage.